Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Digital Storytelling - Week 1 Reflection

I have enjoyed the start of the Digital Storytelling class.  I have already been exposed to several new (new to me anyway) tools:  Blackboard, Posterous and Skype!  I like to learn new things, so this has been a good start to my summer.  Plus, I get to take and post a picture each day.  In the past I have been mainly a people picture person, so I am going to focus on photographing  interesting things around me, which may or may not be people.  My first two pictures have focused on close-ups.
Since returning to school at Stritch, I have had the opportunity to meet some great people.   I completed my teaching certification with cohort 20, the LMS cohort welcomed me into what was for most of them their last class, and now I am joining another new team.  I am excited to meet a new group professionals and learn from them (oh, and the professor too).
I hope to “unlearn what we have learned” (Master Yoda) and find better ways to communicate my message!  As I read the books and articles for this week, I realized that I misuse powerpoint.  I tend to spend more time on all the flashiness of the presentation, rather than on what I really want the audience to walk away with.  I need to be more succinct in my words on the screen and use pictures, audio or videos to help get my message across to my audience.  I look forward to creating my own digital stories!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Deb..nice to have you with us and hope you enjoy our great group! This course sounds like great fun and it's always good to learn new technology. I also like Properous and the daily photo postings; it will be nice to have chronological images of our time together! Love your raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, I think we all have been contributors to poor presentations at some point, but I also think we all can improve - welcome to the class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree. I also did not use Power Point correctly. I actually thought I was pretty good at it, until I started reading the book. LOL. Anywho, I am looking forward to checking out your photos. I enjoy photography, so like you, I am excited for this assignment. I hope you enjoy this cohort as much as I do. WELCOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also am guilty of worrying to much about the pizzazz of my PowerPoint and losing the meaning. This class will hopefully give us some great insight on how to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, Deb! I think most of us have used PowerPoint incorrectly - no worries! That's why we are in this class, right?

    ReplyDelete