Sunday, October 28, 2012

delirium (a great book....and how I feel right now)

It is Sunday, before the Packer game, and I am sitting in the Sunroom on this cool, sunny fall day.  The radio is on playing a Train song, I have a pumpkin spiced hot coffee (tastes and smells wonderfully like Halloween), the sun is shining through the window on my feet, making them toasty warm, A piece of leftover chocolate candy from trick-or-treat, and I am kicking back reading a good book. Can it get any better than this?  It is delirium.

Dictionary definition:
de-lir-i-um (noun)
1. An acutely disturbed state of mind that occurs in fever, intoxication, and other disorders.
2. Wild excitement or ecstasy.

Let's go with the "wild excitement" part of the definition....no intoxication this early in the day and no disorders that I know of!

I am about half way through Lauren Oliver's "delirium" and I am hooked.  If you liked Scott Westerfeld's "Uglies" series or enjoyed the heart-pounding action and suspense of Suzanne Collins' "Hunger Games," you need to pick up this dystopian series!  The first half of the book sets up the plot and setting of this restrictive world where at 18 years old you receive "the cure" for the disease 'amor deliria nervosa' or more commonly known as LOVE.  Lena's mother walked off a cliff rather than submit to another operation (the first several did not cure her).  Will Lena follow in her mother's footsteps (literally)?

Off to read the rest of this intriguing novel......need to find out what happens to Lena and her BFF Hana.

- delirium
- pandemonium
- requiem (Spring 2013)
- hana (novella, available as an ebook)

Check this series out and let me know what you think.  Kick back in the sun with a great cup of coffee and enjoy.   I hope you experience the delirium too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment