Thursday, August 30, 2012

I LOVE word clouds!

I found this great tool for creating word clouds and I've embedded one on my blog (see top right hand corner).  www.AnswerGarden.ch is a great brainstorming tool that can be used in the classroom.  You pose a question and the answers appear real-time in the square.  As answers are duplicated, they appear larger.  This could be fun to post a question to your students on your school website, or use during Professional Development with your staff.

In the past, I've used www.wordle.net or www.tagxedo.com websites to generate word clouds.  With my fifth graders last year, we used Wordle to create a word-cloud representing a book recommendation.  The students then created an image which included their word cloud (title, author, main characters, setting, feelings, genre), an image of the book cover, and their first name.  I loaded these to a digital picture frame and set it to rotate through the book recommendations.  The students loved making them and the younger students enjoyed seeing them and then choosing their next book based on these recommendations.

REMEMBER - Answer the question and help build the word cloud!

No comments:

Post a Comment