Saturday, August 4, 2012

Collaboration through Web 2.0 - Reflection Week 1

I have been able to experience first-hand that collaboration can work using web 2.0 tools!  Our group was able to connect on Google+ and work simultaneously on a Google doc, when we were all in seperate locations.  I was even in a different country, with 7 hour time difference!

All the readings focused on the read/write web.  It was good to learn the evolution of the internet and the variety of tools available to help teachers and students connect, communicate, collaborate and create.  I am excited to start using Edmodo at the new school I will be starting at.  While doing my compare/contrast paper for the different blog hosting site, Edmodo appears to have everything I'm looking for.  It has a library to store lesson plans, presentations, etc. in the cloud.  It has the ability to create and correct assignments online.  It has the ability for the teacher to monitor student blog responses.  And so much more!

The biggest lesson I am taking away from this week's readings and work, is that I have to use the products/tools to be able to see how they can truly benefit my classroom community.  I cannot just read about things, I have to get in there and figure out how they work, pros/cons, and how it impacts my work flow.  I look forward to digging in.

1 comment:

  1. My group also met on Google + this week and our time together was seamless... another great resource. Can't believe you met from Hungary, that's amazing dedication:)

    It's so true that when learning about this kind of material it is really best to dig right in and work with it (that's true for most learning). You really can't understand how these things work until you try them for yourself. I experienced that this week working with the different blog sites. I found some to be easier to work with than others. I also came back to Edmodo and right now it's my top choice for my classroom blog. I agree that it seems to have everything I am looking for as well as all the security needed for a school blogging site.

    What grade do you teach? Do you plan to use edmodo with your students? How so?

    ReplyDelete